Summer Travel Tips
Jun 30, 2018
Some of the first things that cross my mind when I think of Independence Day is: fireworks, family + friends, and food. Holidays around the world are tied to food. Glorious comfort food, snacks, desserts, and a whole bunch of carbs! And that is a really wonderful thing. Seriously, think about all those good feelings you get when a holiday is approaching. Do you find yourself dreaming of that one special dish your mom makes? Or something special you and your children make together? Most of us do; and that’s okay because all is good in moderation!
But you’ve decided to eat healthier and stay (mostly) on track. You are not normal! You are better than that, you have goals and you have a mission to get healthier! When you keep using the holidays, travel and vacation as excuses, you constantly set yourself back.
I want to be your cheerleader and tell you that it's okay to stand up for yourself on vacation and on the holidays to stay on track! When you get home, you don't want to be upset about gaining that extra weight after all of your hard work!
So, when you find yourself faced with a road trip to kick off the summer holiday, here are some tips to help you with healthy travel.
- Bars (choose high fiber, low sugar bars). My favorites are RX bars
- Lean jerky
- Dry cereal (high fiber, low sugar)
- Whole fruit
- Some veggies (such as carrots that you don't need to keep cold)
- Nut & seed crackers
- Pack healthy snacks.
- On road trips, pack a cooler with healthy snacks.
- Cheese sticks
- Washed fruit
- Washed & chopped veggies
- Low-sodium deli meats
- Hard boiled eggs
- Deli meats
- Ask for support from family or friends. Most people are too embarrassed to ask, but you should not be ashamed to tell people, “I'm trying to make healthier changes and really don't want to gain weight. Want to try to be healthy with me this week?”
- Identify foods that are worth the splurge. What foods can’t you have at home that you can have while traveling? Enjoy those foods in moderation, but avoid splurging on normal, everyday foods.
- Drinking alcohol? For every one alcoholic drink, have 2 bottles of water. This will slow down how fast you are going through the alcoholic drink, keep you hydrated and prevent hangovers.
- Eat when drinking. Don’t drink on an empty stomach. Raw almonds are a great choice!
- Enjoy alcohol in moderation, if you must.
- MAKE time to exercise. It doesn't have to be a full gym session, but do something. Even an extra 30-minute walk will be beneficial.
- Bring a laptop with dvd player and your workout DVDs. Do a short video in your hotel room.
- Find something fun and active to do in the area. With it being summer, there’s typically a lot going on in most towns. Hike some trails, go check out a local park/splash pad, or pick some berries.
- Walk terminals and gates at the airport. Carrying a suitcase? You'll burn even more calories!
- Hydrate. Hydrate. Hydrate. (with Water)
- Make healthier choices when eating out. Avoid fried, battered, or buttered food items. Plus, those items tend to make your stomach more upset when you’re out in the heat!
- Load up on veggies. Order a salad, broth based vegetable soup or vegetable side dish (not french fries). Enjoy these while passing on the chips or bread baskets.
- Summertime is the best season to find ripe, fresh fruit! If you are tempted by sweeter items, grad some fruit.
- Don’t skip meals to try to save room for calories later. You’ll end up bingeing or overeating later. It is better to have small meals throughout the day.
- Find a local supermarket and buy healthy items to keep with you.
- Pack a water bottle with you to avoid having to pay insane amounts for water
- Make individual water bottles with their own filters, great for traveling.
Don’t give up on your summer bod! Try a few of these tips to keep yourself on track. You’ll thank yourself at the end of your vay-cay. Cheers to healthy, happy traveling this holiday season!
Busy Moms, Healthy Family Guide
35 healthy snack ideas with REAL foods!
3 quick & easy freezer meals!
Tips for pulling this all together!
Download for free!